Monday, March 8, 2010

Tie a Day, Number 75

Safety- this one word sums up so much of what drives me in life. Today’s tie is safe. Not unattractive, but this tie certainly lacks something. Imagination? Risk?

As I look at the ties I wear, I often see the reflection of my life. Don’t get me wrong, I like my life, I am very happy. What amuses me is that when I was younger I never could have imagined myself as I am today.

Recently, the family had an automotive crisis. We had always joked that we would drive our 2000 Dodge Caravan until the wheels fell off. I was reminded of this as the vehicle barely made it to the dealership for a trade in. The transmission was shot, and one valve was locked up in the engine. I didn’t think I was going to make it. We were looking at repairs that would cost more than the vehicle, so we were forced to buy a new car.

When we first purchased the Caravan, I was upset. I did not want anyone to see me driving a minivan, but with the second child on the way, it made the most sense. It was large, and safe.

I almost cried as I gave up my sporty little two door Honda Accord.

Last week, as Amy and I finally settled on a tricked out Kia Sedona, I was thrilled. This vehicle has just about everything that we could possibly want. Buttons were everywhere! Most of the buttons I didn’t even know what they were for, and I had to read the manual (I know, what was I thinking, reading the manual! Do I lose both my man card and my tech card for that?). Amazingly, this minivan even has seat warmers…

But the most important feature of all? It was safe. I know this vehicle will run, it is reliable, and it will keep my family safe in case of an accident.

Boy, would the 22 year old Al be laughing if he could see me today. Ignorant punk that he was!

No comments: