Monday, February 22, 2010

Tie a Day, Number 70

The traditional 80’s power tie is a solid colored red tie. The truth is that the definition of what a power tie is changes periodically, just like any other fashion trend. Around 2004 the power tie color was pink. Today’s power ties are light blue to show confidence instead of the red which displays aggression.

I have always considered today’s tie to be a power tie (since the mid 80's when my father wore it). Bold, bright diagonal stripes on a tie
can be the mark of a power tie. It is nice looking, but just not one of my favorites.

I don’t really believe the “power tie effect.” I never look at a man and think, “Do not mess with that dude. He has a blazing red power tie on. He is somebody!”

I am more likely to think something like, “How in the world did his wife let him out of the house looking like that? Is he color blind? Man, that thing is loud!”

I do think it is important to feel good about what you wear and if you are happy with it, don’t worry about what anyone else says. This is why I keep so many t-shirts with holes. They are light and so comfortable it feels like I am wearing a thin layer of air. Well, there are a lot of holes in them…

No comments: