Thursday, February 4, 2010

Tie a Day, Number 62

I have always thought of this tie as the “Giraffe Tie.” I don’t know why. The pattern is not really close to what a giraffe's pattern looks like. I guess it was just a first impression that stayed with me.

The large blotches look random from a distance, but up close I get the feeling that the design is organic, like a flower. Do flowers come in tan, brown and grey? The colors I don’t have a problem with, but the amorphic design was an issue for me yesterday.

I wanted to define what this thing was, and kept looking at it as if it would suddenly be apparent to me. I guess this is a personal problem. Sometimes I want to define a thing and can’t just accept it for the good that it is; abstract is not good enough. Well, at least with this tie it was a problem.

No comments: