Thursday, January 7, 2010

Tie a Day, Number 50

The 50th tie of the year came and went without a lot of hoopla. I felt like I needed to pick a tie based on its complete ordinariness. Everyone and everything deserves its point in time that people can point to and say, "Hey, that thing there is special."

I think this feeling comes from a misplaced sense of anthropomorphism, and is not shared by everyone. Today, people put a lot of effort into blaming their parents for the way they turned out. That somehow the problems they have are the result of other human beings actions. I would like to turn that around and give credit to my parents for my ability to humanize inanimate objects.

I can probably trace these feelings back to my first teddy bear. I don’t want to bore anyone with a Velveteen Rabbit type of story, but I must confess that I still have my teddy bear and he sits in my closet today.

Some may consider this to be a weakness, but I don’t think so. Caring about something or someone helps to make the world a better place in some small way.

So this completely unremarkable tie is what I chose to wear yesterday. It is not even able to pass as urban camouflage. I noticed that no matter how many pictures were taken of this tie, it was difficult to focus on it (perhaps it is interdimensional, existing in many realities at once). This tie was somehow able successfully survive from the late eighties to today, escaping the great Doss tie purge of the 90’s, to arrive at this point in time as Al’s 50th tie of the year. And for that, I salute you!

No comments: