Saturday, August 18, 2007

Def Leppard

I am so excited! Tonight I get to go to the Def Leppard concert with Amy and our neighbors Jay and Dee. Somehow, Jay was able to get some tickets and backstage passes for the show. I can barely contain myself.

The concert tonight will also have Foreigner, and Styx as well as Def Leppard. I never told anyone, but I wanted to see this concert the moment I heard it was happening. I guess I just got incredibly lucky. And having a cool friend like Jay certainly didn't hurt at all.
Foreigner was the second concert I was ever able to go to when I was 15. It was the 4 tour. I have always loved Styx, although I was very confused by the Mr. Roboto song, but if they play it tonight I will be doing the "robot dance," the whole time. I have always like Def Leppard and I just can't believe the stars aligned is such a good way for me.
This is so awesome! I have never met any Rockstars before and I am really looking forward to it. I have even practiced what I will say. If someone asks me, "What's your favorite Def Leppard song?" My reply will be, "Pour Some Sugar on Me, but every time I sing it my wife tells me, 'Shut up, it isn't happening.' " I am hoping for a laugh, but at least I have something to say and I won't just lock up, drool, and giggle like a school girl.
It is important for me to practice what I am going to say because I have a history of being ill prepared for social engagements. One time I went to a Bruce Smith golf tournament and met Bernie Kosar and made a complete idiot out of myself. He was kind enough to pose for a picture with my wife and I and just before the picture was taken I lost the ability to think rationally, and was mesmerized by his Super Bowl ring. I reached for it like a fish chasing a shiny spinner through the water. Bernie jerked his hand back and said , "What are you doing there? I'll take a picture with you but I am not holding your hand." I felt like a jerk.
I haven't really planned any further than that one question, so I am going to have to work on a few alternates just in case.
One really great aspect of the evening is that the Amphitheater is close enough to my house that we will be riding our bikes there. No designated driver issues tonight. That doesn't mean that I will get out of hand, but tonight I can almost relive the 80's. Almost is the key word, my body is no longer up for that kind of abuse. I rarely go anywhere without my three children so I don't have practice at acting like a grown up anymore. Or is that a teenager? Whatever!
The timing of the show is perfect, I haven't cut my hair in 6 months and it looks very much like it did in the 80's. It is going to be like using a time machine!
Tomorrow I will have pictures and details...

No comments: