Monday, September 17, 2007

Technology in Education- Introduction

For the past two months I have been thinking quite a bit about my instructional technology philosophy. I am not under any obligation to do so, it simply struck me as something that I needed to do for myself. I could then put the words to my thoughts and make it more than an idea. Maybe something concrete that I could make into reality.

This is important to me because it defines not only my job, but my beliefs about where the future will take technology and education. Interestingly, there was an international conference in Shanghai that just ended where the future of technology and education was being discussed. A bunch of very smart people are thinking about this stuff, and I find it all very exciting, even though I don't agree with all of them.

My original entry began as something short. And then it grew because I found there was more that I wanted to say. Right now the whole thing is around 3000 words, and still growing. This is much too large to put in a blog. No one would ever want to read it like that. I was told by a friend that it seemed more like a manifesto. I think that makes me sound like some kind of megalomaniac,or something. I don't write manifestos.

So I decided that I would try to make them into separate entries. This will probably make everything much larger because I will feel the need to expand to each part, but it will probably make each part more understandable, and less like the rambling of a dictator want to be. Because that is not me.

This series of entries is geared towards my thoughts on how I can better address the instructional technology needs of my students and staff. I am already pretty sure that if my staff reads this they will not all be pleased. Anyone who is in favor of No Child Left Behind, or Virginia's Stardards of Learning (SOLS), will probably not agree with me. The administration and staff of my son's school also may not like some things I say. I am not trying to be controversial, or make people that I care about upset. But I probably will, and for that, I am sorry. I am not sorry for what I think, but I am sorry that I could hurt someone in an attempt to make things better.

Update: I am glad I am not anywhere near Shanghai because there is a huge typhoon that is about to make landfall right around that area. It is bad enough to live in a hurricane area but to travel and get stuck in a third world country when a massive one is coming, that is crazy!

Tomorrow night's entry will be Part 1.

No comments: