Monday, October 1, 2007

Technology in Education- Part6

Part5
My New Motto (final in series)

For some reason, I have thought that as a final entry in this series I should have something about my overall theme. I think it must be because media has ingrained in me the need to sum things up in as few words as possible. Some sort of catch phrase or something.

Unfotuately, I was not able to come up with my own. However, I decided that the new IBM commercials fit my new mind set about instructional technology.

"Stop talking. Start doing."

The only problem is that the comercials I want to link to are not on YouTube. The only videos not on YouTube. Strange. I wish I could link to the commercials because the website is lame.

The idea behind the commercials is that people talk about innovation, but what they need is to do something about innovation.

This is what I have come to believe is the most important thing I missed so far as a computer resource teacher. I have always tried to communicate about technology in education, but I neglected the action. Not because I was avoiding it but because I thought that was what I needed to do.

Conversations rarely convince people that they are wrong; actions, and experiences do. I used to spend a lot of time trying to communicate with people via email. It didn't work. Deleted and ignored I continued to struggle with using communication skills that didn't make it to the intended audience.

Now I can't be ignored. I am doing everything. If I can reach one person now, that is one person more than I reached before. I am in motion, demonstrating, modeling, teaching, making things happen.

I am finished talking to those those who won't listen.

No comments: